Repairs and Maintenance

Repairs That Tenants Are Responsible For

Please download the Osprey Tenant Responsibilities document which provides an indication of who is responsible for repairing specific items relating to your home

Where there is damage or neglect you must organise the repairs yourself. This includes any damage caused by you, any member of your household or visitor, whether the damage is accidental or intentional.

If you do not do this you, we will carry out this work but you will be asked to pay for the repair in full before we will commit to carrying out any work for you.

The only exception is in emergency repair situations when we will make the property safe and secure, however you will be liable for the costs.

Examples include:

  • Any repair that is listed as your responsibility, for example, loss of keys or lock changes
  • Securing broken windows where damage is caused by you
  • Repair leak from water pipe, sink and so on caused by your neglect or damage
  • Blocked toilets and drains where you have caused the blockage
  • Repairs to damage caused by your leaking appliances
  • Alterations you have made but don't meet our standards
  • Rubbish or items left in our property or estate that are a nuisance or fire hazard.

It is important you ensure you have adequate Home Contents Insurance to cover your personal belongings, including electrical items and floor coverings. Should a leak or other incident cause damage to your personal belongings AHP will not pay for such replacement items. You can find out more at

Criminal Damage

You must report any criminal damage to your property to the police and get an incident number. You'll need a valid crime reference number if the police have been in attendance. You may be held responsible for the cost of the repair if this is not supplied. We strongly recommend you have Home Contents Insurance to cover your personal effects. You can find out more at


It is our responsibility to carry out gas safety checks. As your landlord we have a legal duty to carry out a check before you move in and every 12 months after that.

We will write to you with an appointment time before your annual service is due.

The visit to your home is to check that your gas installations, appliances, pipes and flues are safe. If you're not in when they call, the contractor will leave a card asking you to make another appointment.

We will give you a copy of the landlord safety record when the check is completed.

Please make sure you are at home for the appointment and if you need to change the time or date simply call us to rearrange a time that's more suitable for you. YOUR SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY

Please be aware that if access is refused then we may have to force entry to the property and carry out the check. The costs involved in this will be recharged to you. Please ensure you communicate with us to prevent this situation occurring.

Property Upgrades and Planned Maintenance

We have an annual planned maintenance programme which covers work such as:

  • Window and door replacements
  • Central heating upgrades
  • New kitchens and bathrooms
  • Cyclical painting

We write directly to the affected tenants with the planned maintenance programme every year. Contact the Asset Management Team for more information.

Can I Make Changes to my Home?

You must get written permission from us before making any home improvements, for example:

  • Cable TV or satellite dishes
  • Garden fences and gates
  • Garden Sheds, decking or patios
  • Fit laminate or wooden flooring
  • Central heating systems.
  • Kitchens or any other major works
  • Showers
  • Cat flaps
  • Tumble dryer vents
  • Gas, electrical or plumbing installations.

Please download and complete the Permissions Form and send back to us.

We will not say no unless we have a good reason. If we agree, you will be responsible for any future repairs to those alterations and the permission may be granted with certain conditions to be adhered to. Alterations will inspected by one of Asset Management Team to ensure the work is carried out to a good standard and any conditions of permission are met.

Some tenants are entitled to compensation at the end of their tenancy for improving their home. This depends on the type of improvement and other criteria such as having the correct permission granted. If you have carried out alterations without permission you may be asked to remove the alteration and return your home to its previous condition. Any major alterations will need to meet statutory consents, such as a building warrant.

For more information or to discuss your ideas contact our Asset Management Team.

Can I Get Help to Adapt my Home?

We may be able to help you stay in your own home by simply making a few adaptations, such as fitting grab rails.

We have limited funds available for this, however we will assess all referrals made.

Contact your local Occupational Health Department first to arrange a visit from an occupational therapist. They will make an assessment which will tell us how we may be able to help you.